Carbon monoxide exposure can lead to serious personal injury and sometimes to death. In New York, 7 people died from carbon monoxide poisoning between 2005 and 2007. 370 people visited the emergency room and 50 people were seriously injured and hospitalized for the same reason during the same period. In 25% of cases related to carbon monoxide exposure the source was the fuel-burning equipment and appliances in the home such as boilers and stoves. For most of the other cases fire was the source of carbon monoxide poisoning.
In order to prevent this type of accident, the NYC Department of Health is recommending that all fuel-burning equipment in the home – furnaces, boilers and hot water heaters – be inspected annually by a professional. New Yorkers should also change all the batteries in their carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to protect themselves.
For more information visit the NYC Department of Health website.