Last Sunday, 27 year old Daniel McClung died and his wife was seriously injured in a fire that started in their apartment on the 20th floor of a high rise building in New York. Their two dogs also died in the fire. According to the FDNY,an extension cord with an overloaded power strip ignited the fire that quickly spread to the Christmas tree. When the couple came back from shopping they opened the door to an apartment full of smoke. The door which was supposed to self close, stayed open and the fire caught up with the couple who were running down the stairs.
Read more in the New York Post
(Credit: Keith Lowry /NYCFireWire)