The risk of fire accidents increases during the cold weather as New Yorkers are sometimes using dangerous alternative heating sources, particularly space heaters. Last Sunday a 78 year old lady was found unconscious in her kitchen and pronounced dead after a fire erupted in the middle of the night in her apartment in Bedford Park in the Bronx, NYC. On Monday a 30 year old mother and her 15 and 4 year old children from Brooklyn, NYC were forced to jump from a three story window onto a scaffolding after a blaze ravaged the housing project they were living in. The mother was injured and broke her legs as she landed. On Tuesday a 4 year old boy was critically injured as he suffered burns and smoke inhalation in another house fire that erupted in Bensonhurst, Broolyn, NYC.
With the coming weather, we would like to remind New Yorkers about the dangers alternative heating sources such as space heaters can present and provide tips on how to protect their homes and families while trying to stay warm. Here is a video from the Consumer Reports that provides useful tips to Use Home Heating Equipment Safely to Prevent Fire.