22 people including 10 firefighters suffered personal injury in a two-alarm fire that ravaged the 16th and 17th floors of a high rise building on 3333 Broadway in Manhattan. The fire started around 10:00 am in the morning and firefighters battled the blaze for two hours until it was controlled (read more in the NY Daily News).
Later on, in the afternoon, two people died in blaze that destroyed a house in the Rockaways in Queens, NYC. According to the NYFD, the house was very cluttered making it difficult for firefighters to reach the kitchen where the two victims were located.
A third fire that started on Monday around 1:00 am on Avenue P and 38th Street in Marine Park, Brooklyn, NYC left a toddler in critical condition. The fire was caused by an air conditioner unit that was plugged into an extension cord that ran underneath a carpet instead of being safely plugged to a wall outlet. A family of six was living in the apartment. The parents and 3 other children were able to escape but Chase Pierre, their two year old toddler was trapped in a room full of smoke. FDNY Lt. Victor Milukas rushed in and was able to find the boy unconscious in his room. He was transported to the hospital in critical condition.