Our partner Richard Steigman and Hon. Rosalyn H. Richter, Appellate Division, First Department will be co-chairing the New York State Trial Lawyers Seminar “2018 CPLR Update”. This seminar will take place on Monday April 9 from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at the NYTSLA office at 132 Nassau Street.
One of the key requirements of successfully managing a civil caseload is staying abreast of legislative changes and court decisions in the field of New York Civil Practice. This year in particular, there are substantial changes that every lawyer in this field needs to know. This seminar will provide an in-depth review of these new developments, including practice tips and pitfall warnings that are invaluable for the civil litigator.
Topics will include:
- A detailed explanation of Lavern’s Law which amended the CPLR so that the statute of limitations in certain medical malpractice actions runs from the time of reasonable discovery, including a primer on revival of cases and all applicable deadlines
- Amendment to CPLR 503 allowing plaintiff to place venue of an action in the county in which a substantial part of the events or omissions giving rise to the claim occurred
- A decision by the Court of Appeals addressing the discovery of social media
- Taking an appeal from a final judgement after a previous appeal to the Appellate Division
- Allocation of net attorneys’ fees pursuant to an agreement between attorneys
- CPLR 3101 (d)(1)(i)’s expert disclosure requirements
- A First Department decision affirming the lower courts’ grant of a new trial in the interest of justice bases on the misconduct of defense counsel during trial
- And much more!
Click here to register or for more info