One man died from burns and another one was critically injured while jumping out of the window after a house with no smoke alarms caught fire in New York
One person died and one was seriously injured in a blaze that tore through a home on Springfield Blvd. in Queens Village New York. Fire officials don’t know yet what sparked the blaze but said there were no working smoke detectors in the home. Read more in the New york Daily News
New York law requires homeowners and landlords to install smoke alarms in each sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms and on each additional story of the dwelling, including basements but not including crawl spaces and uninhabitable attics.
Smoke alarms are cheap, easy to install and can save lives. If you are a homeowner or a landlord please make sure that smoke alarms are installed according to the law and are working properly. Negligence may have catastrophic consequences…