Two 3-year-old twin boys died after drowning in their backyard pool in Melville, Long Island, NY. Nicholas and Anthony Aurilia had just moved a month ago with their brother Christian and their parents Sue and Patrick to a new house in Melville Long Island with a pool in the backyard. The pool area was still being renovated however when it was inspected in May all code requirements were met including gates, alarms and latches.
On Wednesday morning, the mother, Sue, woke up a little bit after her husband, Patrick, had left for work. As she looked through her bedroom window she saw the body of one of the twins floating on the top of the pool. She called 911 and ran to the rescue of Nicholas. She gave him CPR. When the emergency rescuers arrived she told them she could not find Anthony. Firefighters located the body of the second twin at the bottom of the pool. Because the pool area was undergoing renovations, the pool hadn’t been cleaned yet and the water was green and murky. There was no visibility therefore the mother didn’t see the other boy at the bottom of the pool. Emergency rescuers gave CPR to Anthony and both boys were rushed to the hospital. Unfortunately they couldn’t be saved. The neighbors were in shock when they heard what happened. (Read more on the New York CBS Local website)
Unintentional drowning is the number one cause of wrongful death among children between 1 and 4-years old and the second cause of wrongful death among children between 5 and 14-years-old. According to the most recent report of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Pool or Spa Submersion: Estimated Nonfatal Drowning Injuries and Reported Drownings, 2017, 346 children fatally drowned in swimming pools or spas in 2014 compared to 397 in 2010, a 13% decrease. 2010 is the year when the CPSC started its yearly campaign of awareness regarding pool drowning.