Three construction workers suffered burn injuries at a construction site in the Bronx on Monday afternoon. These workers failed to provide proper proof of training and did not possess a permit for using a propane torch. They were performing a waterproofing job near Holland Avenue and East Gun Hill Road when the incident occurred. The workers were burned as some of the waterproofing material caught fire. The severity of the incident prompted a massive response from the Fire Department of New York (FDNY).
The construction site in question has become a hotbed of safety violations, with New York City issuing over 25 violations in the past year alone. Shockingly, twelve of these violations are still open and directly relate to construction safety concerns. This pattern of negligence is deeply concerning and suggests a lack of commitment to providing a safe working environment for construction workers. On the day of the incident, five new violations were issued, further illustrating the disregard for safety protocols.